Quick, easy and healthy lentil tacos are one of my favorite to go plant-based recipes.
One request I often get is for more plant-based meal ideas. I am so happy when I hear people request vegetarian recipes. And no if you constantly read my blog you know I am not vegan or vegetarian nor I follow any particular type of diet. But I do try to have at least one meal of the day vegan or vegetarian. This is because:
1. Balanced plant-based meals are higher in fiber and essential nutrients and lower in calories.
2. Animal proteins take longer to digest. Having one plant-based meal gives your body a break. Plus animal protein requieres more energy to break down which sometimes leaves you feeling sluggish and tired.
3. It is not only good for you but also for the planet. It takes an enormous amount of resources to produce 1lb of meat, from fuel for transport, water for the crops and the animals, not to mention the heavy methane gas produced by industrialized farming.
Having said all this. Lentil Tacos are just the answer you are looking for.
Lentils are high in fiber, protein, and iron. Making them the perfect option for any meatless recipe.
For this recipe, I cooked the lentils with a little bit of cumin, paprika, and oregano for added flavor. Once the lentils are cooked all you need to do is assemble your tacos. I like topping mine with avocado, pico de gallo and salsa verde for added flavor!
These vegan lentil tacos are full of plant-based protein and easy to make.
- 1 cup lentils
- ¼ white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 ½ cups water
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 avocado
- Step 1 Clean the lentils and remove any stones or bits that should not be there.
- Step 2 In a medium skillet heat a little bit of olive oil and add your onion. Season approximately for 3 minutes. Until the onion turns translucent. Then add your lentils.
- Step 3 Add the cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic. And mix together.
- Step 4 Add 2 ½ cups water, mix and cover.Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Check your lentils, if they are still a little hard continue cooking for another 10 minutes or until tender.
- Step 5 To serve: Heat the tortillas and add the lentils, tomato and avocado. Optional: Top with salsa verde o roja.