These Healthy Vegan Tofu Crumble Tacos are one of my favorite Meatless Monday recipes. They are spicy, brittle, delicious and actually good for you (no fried stuff).
Being a Health Coach and daily yoga practicioner people commonly ask me if I am vegan. The answer is no. I am not vegan and the main reason is I don’t believe in following a particular diet. My philosophy is: eat real food- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and yes fish and meat- and avoid food that is highly processed.
Each of our bodies requires a broad range of nutrients in order to function optimally and each food contains certain nutrients. Each food is different in its nutrition make up. When we eat a variety of foods that are composed of distinct nutritional qualities or elements, we broaden the range of nutrients available to each cell of our body.
If you want to follow a healthy diet I will advice followinf Michael Pollan’s Rules for Eating. If you are not familiar with him, he is a great author and health advocate. I would definetely recommend his book Food Rules:An Eater’s Manual. Super short and easy to read. It is basically a manual that outlines 64 food principles everyone should live by.
Having said that I am not an advocate for any particular diet I do think going meatless once a week can reduce your risk of chronic diseases as well as reduce your carbon footprint. If you are not a Meatless Monday supporter I guarantee that you will be after trying these amazing Healthy Vegan Tofu Crumble Tacos. For other Meatless Monday Recipes check: Lentil Tacos.
Healthy Vegan Tofu Crumble Tacos
These Healthy Vegan Tofu Crumble Tacos are just the right amount of crispy and spicy.
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 pack extra firm tofu
- 2 red bell pepper
- ¼ tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- Cilantro for garnish
- Step 1 Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add one tbsp. of avocado oil. As soon as oil begins to smoke add the onion and sauteé until soft.
- Step 2 In the meantime, add the tofu to the food processor and process until crumbled.
- Step 3 Add tofu to skillet and cook for about 3 minutes until brown. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes more, until it begins to tender.
- Step 4 Add the tomato sauce, soy sauce and spices to the skillet and continue to cook until everything is well mixed, and the liquid is absorbed.
- Step 5 Heat the tortillas in a medium skillet. Evenly divide the mixture among the tortillas.