Colder climate and abundant apple harvests make this Apple Strudel a perfect dessert or breakfast option. Traditionally loaded with sugar, refined carbs, and butter this Healthy Apple Strudel is gluten-free, low in fat and sugar.
It is already Fall which means apple picking season is here again! Not to mention it also means Adrian’s birthday, Thanksgiving and pumpkin pie. All of my favorite things.
Having lived in Mexico my whole life I used to though Fall was just the most boring season. This is mainly because in Mexico City where I was born and raised there isn’t that much of a transition other than colder days.
You can get apples at the grocery store all year round, we are not really into pumpkin everything and there is no Thanksgiving. Boring? Right. But we do have other wonderful traditions such as Dia de Los Muertos. More on this on the post I wrote for DC Moms Blog.
Anyway this year we went apple picking to an orchard that is just about 45 minutes drive to DC. and we got the juiciest and delicious apples. Some of them which I used in these decadent Healthy Apple Strudel you are about to prepare.
We are also planning on driving the Skyline Drive to admire the red, orange, and yellow trees along the ride. I will definitely share more about this on later posts. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this delicious Apple Strudel and make sure you save some for breakfast.
Healthy Apple Strudel
- For the filling:
- 3 medium apples, sliced thin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. pumpkin spice
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the crust:
- 1 cup oats, gluten free
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk
- Step 1 1. Preheat oven 350 degrees and spray a 8 inc baking dish.
- Step 2 2. In a large nonstick skilet heat some coconut oil over medium high heat.
- Step 3 3. Add the apples, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, arrowroot, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Step 4 4. Continue to cook until apples turn brown and set aside.
- Step 5 5. In a separate bowl mix all of the ingredients for the crust.
- Step 6 6. Place your filling on the bottom of your already prepared baking dish. Then top with the crust.
- Step 7 7. Cook for 18 minutes. Allow them to cool and top with your favorite ice cream.